Skip to main content

Featured

Carney's Retaliation List: What It Could Mean for Your Grocery Bill

  Published August 22, 2026 · Canadian Money Brief The 50% U.S. tariffs on roughly $28 billion of Canadian goods are no longer a threat — they took effect at 12:01 a.m. Saturday after last-minute talks between Ottawa and Washington collapsed Friday night. Prime Minister Mark Carney responded by suspending negotiations entirely and promising to hit back "dollar for dollar." Unlike the tariff deadline itself, this part isn't happening tonight: Carney says Canada's countermeasures won't take effect until September 8 , and the exact product list is still being finalized. That two-and-a-half week gap matters for your wallet. It's a window where the general shape of the retaliation is known, but the fine print — the specific products, the exact surtax rates, which exemptions get carved out — is still being written in Ottawa. Here's what's confirmed, what history tells us to expect, and how to think about the impact on your own spending. What's confirmed ...

article

Prince Harry Wins 'Monumental' Legal Battle Against Murdoch's Sun

 


In a landmark victory, Prince Harry has won a significant legal battle against Rupert Murdoch's UK newspaper group, News Group Newspapers (NGN). The publisher admitted to unlawful actions at its Sun tabloid and issued a rare, full apology to the Duke of Sussex.

Harry, 40, had been suing NGN for illegally obtaining private information about him from 1996 until 2011. The settlement includes substantial damages and an admission of intrusion into the private lives of both Harry and his late mother, Princess Diana.

"This victory is not just about me, it's about holding those who abuse their power to account," Harry said in a statement. "The truth has finally been acknowledged, and justice has been served."

The apology from NGN marks a significant moment in the ongoing battle against unlawful media practices. Harry's lawyer, David Sherborne, emphasized that this case was about accountability and truth, rather than monetary compensation.

The settlement comes after last-minute talks, averting a trial that was set to begin earlier this week. Harry's co-claimant, former senior British lawmaker Tom Watson, also received an apology and damages.

Harry's mission to expose and rectify the wrongdoings of the British tabloids has resulted in a historic win, setting a precedent for future cases involving media misconduct.



Comments