Skip to main content

Featured

Myanmar Earthquake: Death Toll Climbs to 3,145 Amid Ongoing Rescue Efforts

The devastating earthquake that struck Myanmar nearly a week ago has claimed at least 3,145 lives, with search and rescue teams continuing to recover bodies from the rubble. The 7.7 magnitude quake, which had its epicenter near Mandalay, Myanmar's second-largest city, caused widespread destruction, including collapsed buildings, damaged roads, and destroyed bridges.  Humanitarian aid groups are working tirelessly to provide survivors with medical care and shelter, as thousands remain homeless and vulnerable to disease outbreaks. The United Nations estimates that over 17 million people have been affected by the disaster, with more than 9 million severely impacted.  In response to the crisis, Myanmar's military government has declared a temporary ceasefire to facilitate relief efforts. However, ongoing challenges, including communication blackouts and difficult-to-reach areas, have hindered the full assessment of the disaster's impact.  The coming days will be critical in d...

article

Haiti in turmoil as gangs free thousands of prisoners and target PM

Haiti is facing a new wave of violence and instability as armed gangs have launched a co-ordinated attack to overthrow the prime minister and free thousands of inmates from the country’s main prison.

The gangs, led by a former police officer known as “Barbecue”, have declared war on Prime Minister Ariel Henry, who left the country for Kenya last week to seek international support for his embattled government.

The gang leader said he and his allies control 80% of Port-au-Prince, the capital, where they have been shooting at police and civilians, killing four officers and injuring five.

On Sunday, they stormed the National Penitentiary, where about 4,000 men were held, including some accused of involvement in the 2021 assassination of President Jovenel Moïse. A local journalist told BBC News that most of the prisoners have now escaped.

Haiti has been in crisis since President Moïse’s killing, which remains unsolved. He has not been replaced and elections have not been held since 2016.

Mr Henry, who was appointed by Moïse before his death, was supposed to step down by 7 February under a deal with the opposition, but he failed to do so.

He has been seeking to form a Kenyan-led multinational security force to help restore order and protect the upcoming elections, scheduled for November.

On Friday, Kenyan President William Ruto said he and Mr Henry had signed an agreement and were working to fast-track the deployment.

However, the gang leader Barbecue said he would not accept any foreign intervention and vowed to continue his campaign until Mr Henry resigns.

The UN has warned that more than 8,400 people were victims of Haiti’s gang violence last year, including killings, injuries and kidnappings - more than double the numbers seen in 2022.

The French embassy in Haiti has advised against travel in and around the capital, while Haiti’s police union has asked the military to help reinforce the prison.


Comments